The Faculty of Conservation and Restoration of Works af arts was founded at the Academy of Fine Arts in Cracow in 1950 as a result of a merger between the Department of Conservation of Higher School of Applied Arts, established in 1948, and the Department of Painting Technologyand Techniques of the Academy of Fine Arts, also set up in 1948. Prof. dr Józef E. Dutkiewicz was the first Dean of the Faculty.
The Faculty of Conservation adn Restoration of Works of Art teaches prospective restoress conservators by preparing them to independent and creative conservations/design works in the domainof conservation, reconstruction, adn arrangement of monumental objects. Apart from that the Facultymanages the realisation, research and artistic works in the domain related with broadly understood conservation of works of art. Within this range the Faculty co-operates withnumerous research istitutions in Poland and abroad.
The Faculty and its employees as well as students have practicipated and still do in internationl programmes TEMPUS, SOCRARES/ERASMUS and 5th FRAMEWORK.